Prior to your retreat you will receive all the details necessary to plan and prepare. Our Altar Staff will check in with you , learn a little about you in this current season of life and what you are hoping to experience on your Altar Retreat.
Altar Retreats create environments that are refreshing and good for your soul. On each retreat we incorporate a combination of teaching, spiritual practices, solitude and reflection, meaningful conversations and processing, and fly fishing (which helps keep us humble while experiencing the power of God’s creation). Add to all this good food, campfires, and time for personal reflection, you have a full experience and life-shaping experience.
Following the retreat, participants are encouraged to continue the good work they started through the journal/guidebook provided. While a retreat can be life-changing and life-shaping, the work must continue to see the transformation that is desired. Our Altar team will continue to encourage you, including options to pursue more in-depth soul care, leadership and/or life coaching for the next 3-6 months (included for pastors).
While this is not a complete list of all you will need to bring on an Altar Retreat, it highlights the necessities for this type of trip.
- State Fishing License and trout stamp for your destination.
- Breathable waders/boots. (We will help provide waders if needed at no or minimal cost)
- Fly Rod: 8-9’ Rods from 3-6 weights all good. (We will help provide fishing gear if needed at no or minimal cost)
- Euro nymphing 10-11’ 2-3 weights are also applicable.
- Rain jacket
- Bring layers for cool mornings and hot afternoons
- Light-weight, quick dry pants
- Light-weight, long-sleeved, quick dry shirts
- Polarized sunglasses
- Sun screen & Lip Balm
- Sturdy shoes for walking/hiking
- Bible, pen, and personal journal (optional)
- Altar will provide a retreat guidebook with journal pages.
We will provide details on anything additional/specific to your trip/trip location in your confirmation materials.
You are welcome to bring your own waders and rod (3-6 weight rod will work in most trout fishing applications). If you do not have them, we are often able to supply at no charge or a nominal fee if using local outfitters. If you have a desire to buy your own gear prior to the retreat, talk to one of the Altar staff on recommendations and possible discounts through our fishing industry partners.
No problem! Welcome to your next favorite hobby.
Altar has helped many people take their first steps into fly fishing and into the stream (literally). It is our joy to teach and equip you with fly fishing skill that you will take with you for a lifetime. No matter where an angler is in their fly fishing skill, our desire is to help you grow in your angling through the investment of our staff and the guides we use on every retreat.
We will send information before every retreat including the best website to purchase a local fishing license for the areas we fish. Most states have very good DNR websites with abilities to purchase a license.
Once you have registered - our Pre-Trip Emails will provide all the information you need to make your necessary travel arrangements.
Each participant is responsible for their own travel costs including airfare and transportation to/from the lodge. We will provide airport recommendations and options for ground transportation for each trip, to help you with your planning.
When you register, be sure to include any food allergies or dietary restrictions that you might have. We coordinate accordingly to meet the needs of our retreat participants.
No...although our retreats are designed to explore and deepen our relationships with God. All that is required is a willingness to engage the sessions and participate fully in retreat activities. Our staff are always available on retreats to serve you and have personal conversations.
Many pastors (and churches) do not have the extra funds for retreats, self care, and leadership investment which is why Altar (and those connected to pastors) seek to do everything we can to help alleviate the financial burden of participating in a retreat. Raising funds for pastors happen three ways:
- Individuals (and sometimes in partnership with their church board) pull together and donate support for their pastor. Altar provides Pastors with the tools through our Prayer & Support Kit to help people provide this much needed experience and time away for their pastor.
- Pastor seek to raise some support beyond what they can personally cover through friends, family, and congregational members/board. Again, Altar help pastors with this process
- Altar raises funds through our Pastor’s Fund that anyone with a heart for pastors can contribute toward. 100% of gifts given to the Pastor’s Fund go to support pastors for retreats and soul care coaching.
If you would like to make a donation to support a pastor please follow this LINK. Thank you for your heart for our mission and ministry.