One month before a retreat, participants receive a pre-retreat growth plan to begin their journey of reflection and preparation for the retreat.
Altar Retreats create environments that are refreshing and good for your soul. On the retreat we incorporate a combination of teaching, spiritual practices, solitude and reflection, meaningful conversations and processing, and fly fishing (which helps keep us humble while experiencing the power of God’s creation). Add to all this good food, campfires, and time for personal reflection, you have a full experience and life-shaping experience.
Following the retreat, participants are given a post-retreat growth plan to further explore all that was discussed and experienced on their trip, including options to pursue more in-depth soul care, leadership and/or life coaching for the next 3-6 months (included for pastors).
- State Fishing License and trout stamp (link above)
- Breathable waders/boots. (We will help provide waders if needed at no or minimal cost)
- Fly Rod: 8-9’ Rods from 3-6 weights all good. (We will help provide fishing gear if needed at no or minimal cost)
- Euro nymphing 10-11’ 2-3 weights are also applicable.
- Rain jacket
- Bring layers for cool mornings and hot afternoons
- Polarized sunglasses
- Sun screen
- Bible, pen, and personal journal (optional)
- Altar will provide a retreat guidebook with journal pages.
We will provide details on anything additional/specific to your trip/trip location.
You are welcome to bring your own waders and rod (3-6 weight rod will work in most trout fishing applications). If you do not have them, we are often able to supply at no charge or a nominal fee if using local outfitters. If you have a desire to buy your own gear prior to the retreat, talk to one of the Altar staff on recommendations and possible discounts through our fishing industry partners.
No problem and welcome to your next favorite hobby! Altar has helped many people take their first steps into fly fishing and into streams (literally). It is our joy to teach and equip you with fly fishing skill that you will take with you for a lifetime. No matter where an angler is in their fly fishing skill, our desire is to help you grow in your angling through the investment of our staff and the guides we use on every retreat.
We will send information before every retreat including the best website to purchase a local fishing license for the areas we fish. Most states have very good DNR websites with abilities to purchase a license.
Once you have registered - our Pre-Trip Emails #1 & 2 will provide all the information you need to make your necessary travel arrangements.
Each participant is responsible for their own travel costs including airfare and transportation to/from the lodge. We will provide airport recommendations and options for ground transportation for each trip, to help you with your planning.
In our first pre-retreat email we clarify any food needs or allergies a person may have. We coordinate accordingly to meet the needs of our retreat participants.
No...although our retreats are designed to explore and deepen our relationships with God. All that is required is a willingness to engage the sessions and participate fully in retreat activities. Our staff are always available on retreats to serve you and have personal conversations.
Many pastors (and churches) do not have the extra funds for retreats, self care, and leadership investment which is why Altar (and those connected to pastors) seek to do everything we can to help alleviate the financial burden of participating in a retreat. Raising funds for pastors happen three ways:
- Individuals (and sometimes in partnership with their church board) pull together and donate support for their pastor. Altar also provides tools and letters to help people do this for their pastor as well as coaching for individuals in how they can support their pastor before and after an Altar retreat.
- Pastor seek to raise some support beyond what they can personally cover through friends, family, and congregational members/board. Again, Altar help pastors with this process
- Altar raises funds through our Pastor’s Fund that anyone with a heart for pastors can contribute toward. 100% of gifts given to the Pastor’s Fund go to support pastors for retreats and soul care coaching.
If you would like to make a donation to support a pastor please follow this LINK. Thank you for your heart for our mission and ministry.